- Key Points: Dharamshala, McLeod Ganj, Ghera Village, Kareri Village, Niyund River, Nioli Village.
- State: Himachal Pradesh, India.
- Duration: 3 Nights 4 Day.
- Altitude: 2,934 m (9,626 feet).
- Trek Distance: Approximately 13 kms.
- Summer temperature: (15°C to 25°C)
- Winter temperature: (-7°C to 5°C)
- Best Time To Visit: May – November.
- Trek Level: Moderate.
- How to Reach: Take a bus from New Delhi/Chandigarh to Dharamshala/Mcleod Ganj, then take a local bus/taxi from Dharamshala or Mcleod Ganj to Kareri Village, then start your trek from kareri village.
- Budget: Under ₹6000-7000 per person.
- Weather: In winter, Snow covers the peaks and in the summers you can experience a cool breeze.
The Kareri lake is one of the most adventurous & scenic trek in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. This trek is a great option for the ones who love to explore the beauty of mountains. Its stunning natural beauty, serene atmosphere, and panoramic views of the Himalayan mountains are what make this trek well-known. This trek is not an easy option for those who do not prefer to walk much or who are not used to physical activity.
About Kareri Lake Trek
The Kareri Lake Trek starts from the Kareri Village which is easily accessible by road from Dharamshala and Mcleod ganj. This village is located at an altitude of 5900 ft from sea level and it takes you through a scenic trail which is surrounded by the dense forest of Oak and pine trees. In between the treks you will found the several little waterfalls, meadows & dense forest.
This trek offers you stunning views of the Dhauladhar mountain range and you can also spot some wildlife animals like Himalayan black bear or leopard, If you are lucky. The Kareri Lake Trek can be an adventure, but it is essential to understand the risks involved in attempting it during the rainy season.
As you climb higher, the view of the Dhauladhar range becomes more spectacular, with snow-capped mountains in the distance. The last part of the trail is quite steep, but the view from the top makes it all worthwhile. The mountains surrounding the Kangra Valley below are truly breathtaking. The glacial lake view of kareri lake is one of the highlights of this trek, travelers can do overnight camping at the top for viewing across the lake but we recommend you to stay in any lodge, hostel or homestay. Because at peak there is a chance of snow storm or heavy snowfall which will damage your tents/camps.
After exploring the lake, You can go back to the kareri village and marking the end of the trek and during the return time from the trek, Do not forget to enjoy the hostel stay at Zostel Plus Kareri.
Anyone with a moderate level of fitness can complete the kareri Lake Trek, as it is suitable for both beginners & experienced trekkers. However, it’s important to carry the trekking equipment’s and other trekking gears for the enjoyable experience. The best time to visit the trek is from May to November, when the weather is relatively normal and clear but avoid the rainy season. Because at that time there is a chance of landslide. So, Plan your journey accordingly.
Things to keep in mind while traveling:
- Do not roam alone at night. It’s not safe.
- Respect Pahari culture and don’t argue/fight with people around you.
- Do not litter in mountains.
- Save mountains, Save nature.
- Don’t do trekking with drugs.
- Always carry a medical box, torchlight, trekking stick, trekking shoes, warm clothes, and a water bottle with you.
- Always walk carefully, Do not trek in bad weather.
By clicking on the below link, you can book a room in the hostel/Camping according to your choice
Cafe’s Nearby Mcleod Ganj
Let me introduce myself quickly. I’m the Author of Tripanchal, I have completed a Bachelor of Technology from YMCAUST and am a Senior Engineer in a Japanese MNC.
So, here I publish articles based on my travel experiences and insights through my writing and photography, inspiring others to explore nature and embrace new cultures.
If you want to get information about travel then you are on the right website.
I hope you are enjoying our articles as much as we enjoy offering them to you.
If you have any questions or comments, Please give feedback to us at firstname.lastname@example.org